At the beginning of the year, I listed my 2018 goals – both bookish and some general ones as well. I came up with quite a few bookish ones as I can barely escape reading – not that I’d want to. And in this blog post I thought I’d talk through one of the goals I made more specifically.
This book had been on my TBR for far too long. As I’m sure you know right now, I adored the Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab and when I found out about Vicious and read the synopsis I immediately ordered it but it never worked it’s way up my mental TBR list for me to pick it up. But, I’m so glad I did.
About this time last year I wrote a blog post entitled My Top 5: Showtunes in which I listed some of my favourite showtunes in the early part of January 2017. Ever since I intended to revisit the concept at the beginning of 2018 and suddenly we’re here. So, I’m going to take the opportunity to rave about some of my favourite musical theatre songs which I have discovered over the last year.
I’m not going to lie, this blog post could be a little bit rushed as I’ve been so ill this week that I didn’t realise that I hadn’t written a post. I should probably start off by wishing you all a happy new year and I hope the first week of 2018 went a little better for you than it did for me.
Now, as it is a new year many of us will be making resolutions however, I have abandoned the form of the resolution seeing as a resolution is defined as “a firm to do or not to do something” and instead I’m using the term “goals” because these are all things that I’d quite like to do this year. I’ve managed to split this list into “Book-Related Goals” and “Other Goals” which makes sense seeing as I do love my books. So let’s get into this list.
- Read 60 books – I did deliberate whether I was going to set a Goodreads goal as I don’t want reading to become a chore. I love reading and getting lost in stories so I don’t want to force myself spending less time on a book. In 2017, I read 55 books so I decided to push myself a little bit further this year.
- Move Away from YA books – Now, I do like YA books. They are quick, easy reads which quite often leave me feeling fuzzy. However, I do need to push myself as a reader and read out of my comfort zone. I’m not saying I need to completely cut out YA from my TBR pile, just cut it down a little bit.
- Read More Classics/Poetry/Plays – Now the only thing I study is English Literature, I have found myself reading much more poetry and many more plays. Through doing this, I have realised that I love plays especially so, I’d quite like to read a few more. There are also some classics on my TBR which I’d like to get read as some point and I think that 2018 is the year to start.
- Reread the First Books in some of my favourite series – This is a bit of an odd one but some of my favourite series, I haven’t read for a while (months, years) and I really want to revisit them, so I’d quite like to reread the first books in these series.
- Unshelve some books – I have way too many books which I just won’t read and I think it’s about time I donate them to the charity book shop in my town or to the library and hope that they’ll get a better home and some use. I’ve always been protective of my books and hated giving any away. I’d always use the “Oh I’ll read it soon.” But, no, enough of that. Time to give some books a good home.
- Read Diversely – I mean this in more ways than one. Firstly, read diverse books – read books featuring LGBT+ characters, POC characters, characters with disabilities, characters from different cultures and religions. I definitely want to make the conscious effort to do this. Secondly, I want to read a diverse range of authors, from a variety of different backgrounds. Granted this will require a little bit of research on my part but hey, let’s support a wide-range of authors.
- Watch More Films – I have a really bad attention span, especially when it comes to films. An hour and a half Disney film is just about what I can manage but I want to change that. I have realised that there are far too many good films out there I have not watched so I definitely want to spend some more evenings curled up watching a film. If you have any recommendations for any good films you’ve watched recently, let me know in the comments.
- Do not ignore my bookstagram – I love the online book community and I love bookstagram but I haven’t been very active, especially over the latter half of the year and I don’t want to do this. This does mean that I will have to do little photo shoots in advance but hey, I do love my bookstagram and I don’t want to ignore it this year.
- Expand my love of History – I love history and now I no longer studying it anymore, I feel like there’s a little gap in my life where history used to sit. Somehow I want to expand on my love of history, whether it’s by doing little bits of research on things or to read some historical fiction for a change – either way I want to do it.
- Keep pouring my heart into this blog – Okay, so yes, I failed my goal last year of writing a blog post every week but hey, I did pretty well. Much like my bookstagram, I love this blog and writing posts for it. Talking about books has essentially become my life now with an English degree on top of my casual reading and this blog is such a great place to do it. I love it and don’t want to give up on it any time soon.
And that just about wraps up my goals for 2018. I’m not really expecting to keep to all of these and naturally some will be bigger priorities that others but maybe halfway through the year I’ll come back to this post and reflect on how I’m doing.
What are your goals for 2018? If you have any, let me know! I’d love to know what other people are thinking of doing during the next 12 months!